To hook up your 30 amp RV to your home with a power cord, you will either need an electrician to install a TT-30 receptacle where you have the RV, or find yourself a step down adapter to plug into your home outlets. You will be using a step-down adapter, because we want to take your RV’s 30A plug and turn it into a plug that you can plug into your home.
How to hook up your 30A RV to your house (with adapters):
- Buy a 30 AMP to 15 AMP Step Down Adapter for RV.
- Attach the adapter to the end of your existing RV power cord.
- Make sure the breakers are off in the RV, and then plug the cord into your house.
- Now you can turn on the breaker in your RV.
- If your RV cord + Adapter are not long enough to reach the house, you should consider running a 10 gauge extension cord. This cord is much thicker than a standard home extension cord, and will handle long distances much better.
- You are plugged into 15/20A service now. You will have to monitor how much power you are using. Too many appliances running will trip your breaker
- If you want to run more power, have an electrician install a TT-30 receptacle at your home.